Petition for additional provision

43.15If, after the presentation of a private bill in the first House, any additional provision is desired to be made in the bill in respect of matters to which the standing orders are applicable, a petition for that purpose, with a printed copy of the proposed provisions annexed, may be deposited in the Private Bill Office of the House of Commons or the Office of the Clerk of the Parliaments. Under Standing Order 166A (HC) and Standing Order 73 (HL) respectively, the deposit of a petition for additional provision is conditional upon the approval by the Chairman of Ways and Means or the Senior Deputy Speaker of an application, similar to that made for a late bill (see above), for leave to deposit the petition. No petition which relates to a bill brought from the first House may be received.

Under Standing Order 73 (HC) and Standing Order 73 (HL) the petition is referred to the Examiners of Petitions for Private Bills, who are required to give at least two clear days' notice of the day on which it will be examined.

After hearing the parties, in the same manner as in the case of an original petition for a bill, the Examiner reports to the House whether or not the standing orders have been complied with; and if the Standing Orders Committee reports that those standing orders with which the Examiner reports a non-compliance should be dispensed with, the promoters have leave, upon the resolution of that committee being agreed to by the House, to introduce their additional provision, if the committee on the bill thinks fit1 or subject to any stated conditions.2

The procedure for withdrawing a petition for additional provision depends upon the stage which that petition has reached. In the Commons, if the petition has been endorsed, but has not yet been examined by the Examiner, the promoters may withdraw the petition by informing the Private Bill Office of their intention not to proceed. If the Examiner's report has been referred to the Standing Orders Committee, and the promoters inform the Committee of their intention not to proceed with their petition, the Committee has reported the fact to the House.3 If at a later stage the promoters no longer wish to proceed with the provisions contained in the petition, they inform the committee on the bill accordingly.


  1. 1. CJ (1987–88) 203; ibid (1992–93) 629, 704; ibid (1993–94) 385, 515; ibid (2001–02) 633; ibid (2005–06) 466.
  2. 2. CJ (1934–35) 173.
  3. 3. CJ (1955–56) 32.